We are going to look at some common health problems of beagles with their causes, signs, treatments and preventions. This particular topic will be in parts. Today, we will discuss part 1.
Remember that every dog owner needs to have at least one good reference guide to their dog’s health to ensure that they live a long and healthy life. Here we are going to cover: ear infections, skin allergies and skin infections such as Pyoderma, also known as hot spots.
1. Ear infection
Your beagle’s ears don’t get enough air circulation plus moisture and dirt can easily get trapped in your dog’s ears leading to fungus and yeast.
Common Causes: Ear mites, bacteria, food allergies, bad hygiene.
What signs to watch for: Excessive waxy discharge, inflammation, constant scratching
What to do: Consult with your vet to avoid having the infection spread to the middle or inner ear.
How to Prevent Ear Infections:
- Inspect your Beagle’s ears regularly.
- Clean their ears properly.
2. Skin Allergy
Common Causes: Flea bites, food allergies, inhalant allergies, such as dust or pollen, processed dog food.
What signs watch for: Scratching our chewing at the affected areas, red or irritated skin, hair loss, swelling.
What to do: Consult with your vet.
How to Prevent Skin Allergies:
- Inspect your beagle’s skin regularly.
- Regular flea medication to avoid also potential diseases from ticks and other parasites.
- Choose the right food for your Beagle and avoid feeding them with too many grain fillers, processed meat or human food.
3. Skin Infections and Pyoderma (Hot Spots)
Pyoderma is one of the most common forms of skin infections caused by the overgrowth of bacteria on your Beagle’s skin.
Common Causes: Humidity, warmth, history of infections and allergies, fleas, problems with their anal sacs, among others.
What signs to watch for: It shows up suddenly. Your Beagle will lick, bite and scratch the area. Watch for circular patches where the hair is missing, itch, swelling, irritability.
What to do: They need to be treated immediately.
How to Prevent Skin Infections:
- Regular and proper inspection and grooming.
- Identify the cause of the problem and target it (whether a grooming issue, allergies, or a psychological issues such as boredom).